Saturday, May 21, 2011

First Group Training Day...




End of Week 1:
So we had our first group training/run Saturday (5/14) morning at 8:00 AM!  I don’t know who ordered the cold weather, but it was definitely 37 degrees and overcast (gross)--which doesn’t do much for one’s motivation to get out of bed and run!  Nonetheless, I showed up!  I didn’t really know what to expect, but when I got to our meeting spot, there was a tent set up with bagels, fruit, gatorade, etc. and Coach Mike + TNT Staff + our Team Captain + our Mentors were there!!

This was my first group event because I missed Kickoff due to the Furry Scurry, so this was my first time meeting everyone!  So many inspirational people!  I am the youngest in our group and one of the few who has never “run” before.  

We started out with announcements and a mission moment where a team member shared their connection to someone suffering from Lymphoma :[ , then we jumped straight into the timed 5K (to determine what endurance group we will be training with).  I can honestly say I don’t think I have ever run more than 1 mile at a time, so yeah I wasn’t excited about 3.1 miles (and being timed at that)!

I surprised myself by being able to run the majority of the time.  I finished in 37:31, with an average  pace of 12:05 min/mile.

[5/9 - 5/15] Total Weekly Miles:  9.9 miles

Beginning of Week 2:
This morning I ran the same trail we did our 5K on - the Highland Canal Trail.  I ran for 30 minutes, having to walk some of it due to shin splints!  OUCH!  Never experienced a pain like this!  I ended up running 2.52 miles, with an average pace of 12:26 min/mile.

It’s almost 10PM and the shin splints are still hurting...tomorrow should be interesting...ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment