Saturday, June 18, 2011

Loving the Galloway Method!

Well as you know I missed our team run last week, which also included a clinic on the Galloway Method...but not to worry because Coach Mike sent us a copy of the clinic info.  If you aren't familiar with the Galloway method it is basically a run/walk method that thousands of people use (especially first timers) for marathons...clearly not the best clinic for me to miss!

Anyway...last night I read the clinic info Coach Mike sent as well as some info on the web, and decided I needed a watch that had an interval timer on it!  Sooo... I did a little research, found the cheapest one at Target (not Wal-mart surprisingly), and off I went to get my new watch!  I got home, figured out all the settings, and this morning I was ready to run!

[Side Note:] I am just not quite in shape enough to run for my entire workout, whatever time that may be, (unless it is just a single mile), which means I have already been doing some type of run/walk combination--just not the "official" Galloway method.

My current pace is about 11min/mile (give or take).  According to Galloway, this means I should be doing a run/walk combination of 3:1.  So today I gave the official Galloway Method my first shot!  I normally run the entire first mile, which I also did today, but then I switched my nifty new watch into interval mode!  I ran 5.56 miles in 62 minutes with an average pace of 11:10/mile!!!  The best part? I didn't feel like I was dying at the end!  I have a feeling me and Galloway are going to be pretty close here for the next 16 weeks! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment